robcole.com Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:29:47 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Customizing Tagsets

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Customizing Tagsets  (Read 1896 times)
areohbee
Administrator

View Profile
« on: June 02, 2011, 04:51:58 pm »

Regarding what's displayed in right-hand library panel under 'Metadata'.

In Plugin Manager, ExifMeta Metadata Selection determines what's displayed in the ExifMeta section, but you can also use tagsets to customize the other info that will be displayed along with it. ExifMeta provides two built-in tagsets which you can modify: (advanced users can create additional tagsets).

'RC Standard' - has lots of stuff.
'RC Custom' - bare bones.

Customizing tagsets - possibilities:
1. Delete stuff from RC Standard that you don't want.
2. Add stuff to RC Custom that you do want.
3. Add another custom tagset...

Instructions for possibility #1 (recommended for novices):

I regret that the tagset editing is not more straight-forward, but here's what you have to do:

1. Go to Plugin Manager for ExifMeta - Preset Manager section.
2. Enter a name for a preset, since you can no longer edit advanced settings of the default preset.
   (if you are on a Mac, then hit the tab key). NOTE: the advanced settings file may get lost when you next update ExifMeta *unless* you use the 'Update Plugin' button in Plugin Manager.
3. If it’s a new preset, click 'OK' when asked. If the preset already exists, then click 'Edit Advanced Settings'.
   (that should open a corresponding lua configuration file in your default text editor).
4. Delete the lines corresponding to the stuff you don't want, or better yet:
   COMMENT THEM OUT BY INSERTING '--' at the beginning of the line, without the apostrophes.
5. Click 'Commit' in the 'ExifMeta Metadata Selection' section below.
6. Click 'OK' when prompted, then click 'Reload Plugin' in the Plugin Author Tools section.
   (if no syntax errors, changes should be in effect - otherwise you'll get an error message and have to fix syntax errors...)

Instructions for possibility #2 (slightly more advanced):

Same as #1, except you'll be copying and pasting items from RC Standard (assuming they haven't been deleted).
You may need to uncomment them by deleting the two '--' characters at the beginning of the line.

Instructions for possibility #3 (advanced users only):

Same as #2 except you have to copy then edit one of the other tagset baselines too, and add it to the local lua array near the bottom of the file.

PS - I'm working with Adobe (pleading really) for native support of tagset editing in Lightroom - please add your vote:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/metadata_viewing_presets_tagsets_make_user_definable

Rob
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 05:00:06 am by areohbee » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

BillaVista

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 07:51:41 pm »

Hi Rob,

I'm new to digital photogrpahy, Lr, and your plugin.

My main interest in your plugin is to be able to display more info than otherwise possible in Lr, specifically some of the camera info such as the scene mode etc. This will help me learn from my successes and failures I hope!

So I have it installed and all the info I need is there, but I would very much like to be able to pare down what I see in the right-hand library panel, and preferably group together what is the most interesting to me (e.g. put the scene mode up near the aperture and shutter speed.

I have followed the instruction here and been able to comment out some things successfully, but I cannot find in the default .txt file certain items, particularly those that are grouped in the right-hand library panel under titles such as "Composite", and "Nikon" (see screen caps). I am viewing "RC Standard".

Is this possible somehow to edit these items?

Many thanks

Report Spam   Logged
areohbee
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 08:16:09 pm »

I have some good news and some bad news:

The bad news:

Unlike the other items in the tagsets, exif-meta metadata is all dynamicly discovered, and the tagset section for exif-meta is re-written based on database, whenever you 'commit' changes in plugin manager, and hence can't be configured by you.

The good news (maybe):

If you have the technical hootspa to do it, you can make a copy of MetadataTagsets_AutoGenerated(DoNotEdit).lua, and call it, say: "MyMetadataTagsets_ManuallyGenerated(EditAtWill).lua".

Then edit Info.lua, and replace the LrMetadataTagsetFactory with your new tagset module.

You can then edit the tagset definitions as you please. Of course you will need to maintain those yourself as you go, and be careful when updating the plugin...

eh?

Rob
Report Spam   Logged
BillaVista

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 10:07:46 pm »

Many thanks for the quick reply Rob (and for your excellent work on the plugins).
You're welcome - I appreciate it.

I had a peek at the files you mentioned - a little intimidating but maybe not impossible.
I can help you with it.

As I try to decide whether I have the hootspa to try (I def. don't have the technical hootspa to be confident  Grin ), a couple more quick questions:

If I do as you say, will the edits to "MyMetadataTagsets_ManuallyGenerated(EditAtWill).lua" affect all Metadata selection in the right-hand library panel (including the stock Lightroom options) or just the RC selections and "all plugin Metadata"?
You can do it so it only affects the sections you want.

If I make a mess, what's my get out plan? Remove the plugin entirely and start again?
You can always put back the original module and just reload the plugin - no need to remove. Plugin authors spend 99.999% of the time with their up and coming plugins totally screwed up - you get used to it. Wink

Can I corrupt anything irrecoverably by trying this?
I doubt it - you'll only be messing with tagsets which affect display of metadata in Library panel.

Could you explain what this means: "and be careful when updating the plugin..."

Do you just mean that before installing a newer version of the plugin sometime in the future, I would have to save copies of info.lua and  "MyMetadataTagsets_ManuallyGenerated(EditAtWill).lua" first and then re-insert? 
Exactly. - not sure why I didn't just say that in the first place - thanks.

i.e. this is not something I would have to worry about when just updating the data after adding new photos  --  or is it?
No - just that if you retire items or add items you'll probably want to manually remove / add items to the metadata-tagsets module to accomodate.

If you want, you can send me your metadata-tagsets module file and I'll get it started for you, or just take a whack and if you get in over your head, I can probably help get you straightened back out.

Thanks
You bet - cheers...
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 12:52:21 am by areohbee » Report Spam   Logged
BillaVista

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 04:12:05 pm »

Rob,

I'm going to be brave and take a crack at it.

I do have another quick question though.

When there are "multiple sources" for data (for example, as presently configured I find Metering Mode under [Shooting Info] also under [ExifIFD] and there's probably a [Nikon] version in there too), I presume the trade-off is that the more specific (i.e. Nikon data) might be more accurate or detailed, but the more general (Exif data) would display data for a broader range of pics (i.e. for images taken by non-Nikon cameras).

Is that about right, generally speaking?

Any other quick rules of thumb like the difference between data sourced from:
Composite_ 
ExifIFD_
Adobe_
Nikon_
XMPexif_

etc.

PS - I love the "Hide Boring Tags"...all software should have a "hide boring" button!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
areohbee
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 04:30:25 pm »

Hi BillaVista,

I admire your hootspa.  Wink

Note: Lightroom pulls it's exif metadata from the same source as exif-meta. The difference is that Lightroom won't touch anything that's manufacturer specific, and of course just leaves some stuff out.

Anyway, I generally use the Lightroom version wherever available (exif-meta is too "stupid" to know which fields are redundent) - for one reason, all exif-meta fields are treated as strings in smart collections, whereas Lightroom is smarter about data types.

Its a bit of a "Sherlock Holmes" act, figuring out which of the sometimes many candidates will yield the best data - I mostly just use trial and error - maybe somebody else has a more "scientific" approach, or more educated advice...

Keep in touch,
Rob

Report Spam   Logged
BillaVista

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 05:28:05 pm »

Thanks Rob,

I'll start by concentrating on Adobe_ and Nikon_ items (I shoot with a Nikon D5100) and do some experimenting as you suggest. It will be interesting to see how the similarly labeled fields are populated.

The nice thing is, if I'm able to pull it off, I should be able to list 4 or 5 different "metering mode" data items then flick through some different pics and look for any differences in the data populated, then trim the list down as necessary.

For what it's worth, here's what I'm trying to achieve:

Key:

* - Already in my MetadataTagsets_AutoGenerated(DoNotEdit).lua file
# - as displayed in Nikon ViewNX 2 program (i.e. likely a Nikon_ datum)

Quicklook

Lens*(under Shooting Info)
Focal Length* (under Shooting Info)
Focal Length 35mm* (under Shooting Info)

Exposure Mode*(under ExifIFD) (also check for Nikon version)
Shooting Mode *(under Nikon)
Exposure Program*(under ExifIFD)
Shutter Speed*(under Shooting Info)
Aperture*(under Shooting Info)
ISO Speed Rating*(under Shooting Info)
Metering Mode*(under Shooting Info) also (under ExifIFD)
Exposure Compensation *(under ExifIFD)

Vibration Reduction *(under Nikon)
Auto Focus* (under Composite)
Focus Mode*(under Nikon)
AF Area Mode*(under Nikon)
Primary AF Point*(under Nikon)
AF Points Used*(under Nikon)

Flash*(under Shooting Info)
Flash Control Mode*(under Nikon)
Flash Mode*(under Nikon)
Flash Compensation *(under Nikon)

White balance*(under ExifIFD)
Multi Exposure Mode*(under Nikon)
Auto disortion control*(under Nikon)
Active D Lighting*(under Nikon)

File

File Name* (under File Info)
Copy Name*(under File Info)
Folder*(under File Info)
File Size*(under File Info)
File Type*(under File Info)
Quality *(under Nikon)
Color Space*(under ExifIFD) also *(under Nikon)
NEF Bit Depth *(under Nikon)
Dimensions*(under File Info)
Cropped*(under File Info)
Image Quality#
Image Size#
Date Time*(under File Info)
Date Time Original*(under File Info)
Date Created#
Date Modified#
Date Shot#

File Info

Title*(under Title & Caption)
Caption*(under Title & Caption)
Rating*(under Title & Caption)
Label*(under File Info)
Date Shot#
Time Zone and Date#

Camera

Make*(under Shooting Info)
Model*(under Shooting Info)
Device#
Lens*(under Shooting Info)
Lens ID* (under Composite)
Focal Length* (under Shooting Info)
Focal Length 35mm* (under Shooting Info)
Scale Factor to 35mm* (under Composite)
Max Aperture at Max Focal*(under Nikon)
Max Aperture at Min Focal *(under Nikon)

Exposure

Exposure Mode*(under ExifIFD) (also check for Nikon version)
Shutter Speed*(under Shooting Info)
Aperture*(under Shooting Info)
ISO Speed Rating*(under Shooting Info)
Metering Mode*(under Shooting Info) also (under ExifIFD)
Shooting Mode *(under Nikon)
Exposure Program*(under ExifIFD)
Exposure Mode#
Exposure Compensation#
Exposure Compensation *(under ExifIFD)
Exposure Bracketing* (under Nikon)
Exposure Bias*(under Shooting Info)
Exposure Difference* (under Nikon)
Exposure Tuning* (under Nikon)
Scene Capture Type *(under ExifIFD)
Scene Type *(under ExifIFD)
Scene Mode (Nikon D5100 setting – look for under Nikon_ items)
Special Effects (Nikon D5100 setting – look for under Nikon_ items)

Focus

Vibration Reduction *(under Nikon)
Auto Focus* (under Composite)
Focus Mode*(under Nikon)
AF Area Mode*(under Nikon)
Primary AF Point*(under Nikon)
AF Points Used*(under Nikon)
Phase Detect AF*(under Nikon)
Field of View* (under Composite)
Depth Of Field* (under Composite)
Hyperfocal Distance* (under Composite)
Subject Distance*(under Shooting Info)
Focus Distance *(under Nikon)
Digital Zoom Ratio*(under ExifIFD)
AF Fine Tune (Nikon D5100 setting – look for under Nikon_ items)
Contrast Detect AF*(under Nikon)
Contrast Detect AF In Focus*(under Nikon)
AF-C Priority (Nikon D5100 setting – look for under Nikon_ items)
Bult-in Af Assist Illuminator (Nikon D5100 setting – look for under Nikon_ items)

Flash

Flash*(under Shooting Info)
Flash Control Mode*(under Nikon)
Flash Mode*(under Nikon)
Flash Compensation *(under Nikon)
Flash Setting *(under Nikon)
Flash Source *(under Nikon)
Flash Type *(under Nikon)

Settings

White balance*(under ExifIFD)
White Balance Fine Tune *(under Nikon)
Multi Exposure Mode*(under Nikon)
Multi Exposure Shots*(under Nikon)
Auto disortion control*(under Nikon)
Active D Lighting*(under Nikon)
HDR (Nikon D5100 setting – look for under Nikon_ items)
Long Exposure NR#
Noise Reduction*(under Nikon)
High ISO NR *(under Nikon)
Vignette Control#
Release Mode (Nikon D5100 setting – look for under Nikon_ items)
Multiple Exposure (Nikon D5100 setting – look for under Nikon_ items)
Interval Timer (Nikon D5100 setting – look for under Nikon_ items)

Picture Control

Picture control  Adjust *(under Nikon)
Picture control  Base *(under Nikon)
Picture control   Name*(under Nikon)
Picture control  Quick Adjust *(under Nikon)
Picture Control#
Base#
Quick Adjust#
Sharpening#
Sharpness *(under ExifIFD) also *(under Nikon)
Contrast*(under ExifIFD) also *(under Nikon)
Brightness *(under Nikon)
Saturation *(under ExifIFD) also *(under Nikon)
Hue Adjustment*(under Nikon)
Filter Effect*(under Nikon)
Toning#
Gain Control *(under ExifIFD)
Report Spam   Logged
BillaVista

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 05:02:50 pm »

Great news Rob!

It works and is surprisingly easy once you get the hang of it.

The trick for me was experimenting and discovering that the MyMetadataTagsets_ManuallyGenerated(EditAtWill).lua file ignores extra carriage returns so that I could "format" it by putting in line breaks after each item so the syntax was much more easily read.

After that it was a lot of trial-and error to discover what data I liked and where I wanted it displayed.

Personally, I found that the manufacturer specific tags were most specific / accurate / precise (but obviously don't work across different camera brands). My next choices in order were ExifIFD_ items followed by Adobe items. From my experimentation I found it best to avoid the composite_ and XMPexif_ items if there was another choice for the same item, but I've no rhyme or reason why - just what I discovered with experimentation and according to me needs / taste.

In the end, I edited the  two sets into one labelled "Nikon" for use when viewing my photos and populated it with a majority of Nikon_ items where they were available (I only have the one camera, a Nikon D5100), and set two I named "Generic" for use in viewing all other photos, populating it with a preponderance of ExifIFD_ and some Composite_ items.
Report Spam   Logged
BillaVista

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 05:21:58 pm »

Here are some screenshots:

My MyMetadataTagsets_ManuallyGenerated(EditAtWill).lua file with extra carriage returns to make it more "readable".

Report Spam   Logged
BillaVista

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 05:22:26 pm »

Resulting "Nikon" display for a JPEG photo:

Report Spam   Logged
BillaVista

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 05:23:04 pm »

The first part of the display again, but this time for a RAW file:

I realize my needs are going to differ from many others, but this has allowed me to group the metadata in a way that is logical and useful to me and that supports my current purpose of learning my camera and its settings and what works when and why.

It wouldn't be possible without your amazing work and great plugin - so thank you very much!

To others that may be reading, I encourage you to have a go - it's not terribly hard and the flexibility is awesome. Plus you get a great sense of satisfaction when you have "programmed" the display to excactly what you want  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
areohbee
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 07:00:24 am »

You may find you prefer Jeffrey Friedl's "Metadata Tagset Editor" for creating tagsets that support ExifMeta metadata viewing in Library panel.

http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/metadata-presets
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum